Sunday, August 3, 2008

On Being 30...

Well, it has been 352 days since I turned 30. I am still trying to get a grasp on the situation. Turing 30 is a big shock. When you are in your 20s, you are still young, stupid and have your whole life ahead of you. Mistakes are made and you are shaped and made wiser by their consequences. And you shake them off because you have your whole life ahead of you. You are in the wonderful place in society where the “old people” consider you an adult and the “young people” consider you cool. You are in style, keep up with all the trends and understand everything about today’s pop culture. When you are in your 20s, aging is still a lifetime away.

When you turn 30, this whole philosophy of life is turned upside down. You are becoming one of the “old people”. You are too wise to be foolish. Mistakes made in your 30s are almost embarrassing because you know you should know better. When you turn 30, keeping up with the pop culture doesn't seem as important. I have two young kids and keeping up with them takes nearly all my physical and mental energy. As I am forced to learn more about Elmo and Ben 10, pop culture seems to have passed me by. Now that I am a 30 year old mother of two, showing up to a PTA meeting in the lastest trend seems a little silly. You begin aging when you turn 30. When you see pictures of yourself from 5 or 10 years ago you think “wow, I looked young.” So logically, you must look older now. In my 20s, I started running as a hobby and for exercise. When I turned 30, the elliptical machine became a whole lot more appealing due to the aches and pains in my back and knees. And I thought to myself, so this is it. Here I am at 30 and I can’t run with ease anymore. That part of my life is over. As I examine my new wrinkles in the mirror, I realize that I am aging. I am entering a new part of my life. And it is not exciting. At least not yet anyway....

No comments:

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones